Thursday, March 18, 2010

என் தாய் மொழி தமிழ் பற்றி



On my recent trip to munnar ,we stayed at the tea castle . The security guard of the hotel was delighted and his face glowed when i asked him a few questions in tamizh.
He was like " madame , neenga tamizha?? " .I was like very produly "ammam- neengalumaa??" He was so happy to interact in tamizh and he told me he mistook me for a north indian and assumed i wud speak hindi or english .He also added that even if people knew tamizh -they preferred to speak in hindi or english .I was thinking in my mind ..is it a good trend or should we actually feel great to being a global citizen. There is no harm in being more westernised and talking english but the problem lies in loosing the passion for our mother tongue.Am not asking for a a dharna and attacks like the shiv sena's do going about promoting marathi .but i ask every one of you -a tamizhan to realise -where is your interest gone is peaking your mother tongue .As many of the people i met in this vacation came up with the same kind of surprised face when they heard me speaking tamizh .The tea estate workers at munnar too could not help but rejoice that they met tamizh speaking people after a long time and the irony is many visitors who visit munnar are from CHENNAI !!! and can u imagine that they don't speak tamizh..(i assumed that it was foreigners or people from the north ) well , this made me think of a lot of other things ...
Developing a passion for your mother tongue cannot be forced into people by the government . But they can be developed from one's childhood .I think my passion towards tamizh is firstly because am born in this land and i studied this language from school .But the biggest mistake a lot of parents do here in tamiz nadu is that , they enroll their children in hindi or french classes and where can u expect your children to grow up in to people with a passion for your mother tongue .
Also , my father always read out one thirukural to me everyday .I cant tell you how much value that has added to my life and my outlook towards life .Everytime something happens , i remind myself of the kurals that i have read about.I remember travelling in government buses during school days and memorising every thirukural written on the CHERAN bus.Also i hate it when some tamilians think it's a FAD to speak English and that is their identity of being westernised .I feel being western is more to do with your outlook towards life and people and not the dress you wear or the hair cut you have or going pub hopping n getting sloshed .The west have taught us many a good things .But why is that we want to copy all the wrong things ??
Why not the good ones ?? Most of them speak only their mother tongue at home !!!!
Am not saying boycott English ..English was my favourite class in school ..i loved the non detail part all the shakespear tales etc but that did not make me loose my passion for TAMIZH .And that is what am trying to blog about.And how can i forget the hypocrisy of the politicians .They have so many rules in the tamil nadu government ..like movie title names ( and that is still just name sake and merely to get the tax benefit -The Boss became SIVAJI ,THE BOSS -still it had english !!!)
top ranker's recognition only for tamizh students etc ...but they harp about boycotting other languages when their own grandchildren are studying overseas .why all this fuss when your own is not following what you preach??

If they had true passion for the language -they would have acted in many other ways to promote the language .Just doing a chennai sangamam is not the way to promote your tamizh language and culture .If you think , there are many other ways too!!


And SAD is the word to read some of the tamizh ads or articles .That is the plight of our TAMIZH NADU -at least ,chennai !!!

And lets take a look at some of the TN/chennai's varied fields and evaluate their TAMIZH background/knowledge

Superstar -Fron Karnataka (atleast he speaks very good tamizh)
CSK captain -From Jharkand (can he speak TAMIZH??)
No 1 heroines in Tamil Films -From Kerala or Andhra(and the chennai ones also cant speak or dub in TAMIZH)
Top Singers -From Bollywood (who kill the tamizh pronunciation & the language )
Music Directors - Most of them from Kerala /Andhra
Top Business Men - You can count the TAMIZH guysssss

I don't think this will be the situation in anyother state !!
I dont know if we should hyprocitically say Chennai is more INDIAN -we dont bother
about the native or background of the people who represent us ...I dont think that can come from many of us -can it ?? Am not saying we should become like the Telangana but lets not be the reason for TAMIZH and TAMIZH culture to disappear
from taking any leads in our own state atleast !!

What more people?? When we speak about this ..all they will have to say is
வந்தோரை வாழ வைக்கும் தமிழ் நாடு . But let them live here happily but not kill our language and our traditions .They also tend to takeaway the opportunity of many more capable people from the very own land and let us not LET THAT HAPPEN !!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It has become a trend actually...but I hate when I see people conversing in english in public places even when they knw tamil very well. I've already started insiting my daughter to say Amma and not mummy...donno y I'm very particular abt it!

Had actually tried to write this comment fully in tamil but it was only tanglish so 've rewritten again :)

Joles said...

If I could give you a standing applause on the Net. This is it! Here is a North Indian who struggled for 3 years to understand Tamizh because no-one had time to teach it to him in Chennai, but is an ardent devotee. I know only 10 words, can count upto 5 and still get confused between my munnadis and pinnadis, but I love the sentiment and I love the thought. There is unfortunately too little thought even in TN to the teachings of the Tamizh greats post school, but then that is happenning per se even with the works of Hindi poets. Local literature is dying and we don't appreciate litereature the way it is supposed to be in any case. So your approach is a good start. The next thing should be Tamizh for whoever wants to learn...

pRasad said...

I am from Mumbai. I am staying in Chennai for not more than 4 3-4 months. Since, you have written about Tamil language, ppl's mentality and stuff, I would like to share my observation & my view about Chennai and Tamil ppl. I am being very honest here, so please don't get offended .

1. All ( or almost all ?) boards at bus depot are in Tamil. How can a person from outside tamilanadu understand it ? All announcements are also in Tamil . Don't you ppl think about other ppl ? In mumbai, we have announcements in all languages.

2. Girls are forced to look older by not allowing them to wear other than salwar kameez and tying their hair. Many girls told me , they cannot wear t-shirt or leave their hair free. They look soo old, even if they are not.

3. Since now IT companies are coming in Tamilanadu, if you don't learn Hindi or at least English and stick with just Tamil, it's going to be yours loss. ( As ppl from other states have already started coming ...and believe me learning Tamil is not soo easy. It's just like impossible.)

4. What I like abt Chennai is ppl are very simple.